A unique system of education has been evolved by Her Holiness Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi in Her Divine and all encompassing vision of collective human ascent. It particularly aims at the balanced development of the child amidst the chaos of modern times. Her vision envisages the eternal principle of love embellished in the ancient guru-disciple tradition where learning was a preparation for abiding by the Divine will, respecting its laws and perpetuating God's wisdom.
In the literal sense of the word, knowledge in earlier times used to be communicated spontaneously. The guru imparted it with love and the disciple received it with gratitude and gathered the pearls of knowledge to internalize them. It was not merely the transfer of wisdom but a ladder for ascent to reach the Creator. Without this, education would have no meaning.
Since this vital element is missing in modern education, it has become dry and hollow. Schools and Universities may confer high-sounding degrees, but where the spirit is ignored, the personality remains incomplete and imbalanced. Fortunately, with the advent of Her Holiness Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, enlightenment has dawned on our education through the light of Her precious gift of Sahaja Yoga.
Sahaja Yoga not only nurtures the latent spirit within us but also resurrects us into entities capable of lighting other lamps with the joy and love which She gives.
Sahaja Education naturally embraces the academic spirit of the International Education policies but endeavors to move ahead of it to offer an opportunity for each child to enjoy the precious magic of the days of innocence and purity. It is learning with a difference where the child is nurtured with loving care and prepared to appreciate and face the realities of the outside world with confidence and success. Thus, wisdom is born. Classroom lessons then become an integral part of the total learning process. Each lesson learnt is a joyful experience, enriching the child's awareness and ascent. The ascent integrates the development of the aesthetic sense through various expressions of spiritual joy reflected by Sahaja Yoga through an experience of "Self Realisation".
A compatible staff which is highly qualified, talented, compassionate, with an experience of the science of Sahaja Yoga, guides the academic activities of the School. The teachers are models for the students to follow. Sahaja Education is a wholehearted effort to inculcate love for nature, care for the environment, gentleness, nobility, honesty, wisdom and a lure for experimentation and adventure. The child is surrounded with an enriching ethos.
According to Shri Mataji, the primary concern of education is the awakening of the Spirit, through love, sharing and self-discipline.
Sahaja schools, foster a unique concept of inter-personal relations among student which generate purity, innocence and awareness of chastity. The emphasis is on dignity, decency and decorum of good manners, which enable the students to imbibe a sense of morality and sacredness of the body, which is a temple of God.
The seeds of our future benevolent and compassionate leaders, statesmen, and virtuous heroes are sown in childhood. Hence, utmost care is taken to sow and nurture the seeds. All policies and programmes are so designed as to enable children to realise the optimum development of his or her potential through the actualization of their spiritual evolution as per the tenets of Sahaja Yoga. The more we help children to have lofty ideas and feel good about themselves for having them, the more likely it is that they are going to happen.
One of the main goals is to undertake a comparative study of all the religions to show that the essence of all the religions is the same. This focuses the attention of students to the spiritual life of sharing, tolerance, peaceful co-existence and co-operation with the joy of sacrifice for others. The atmosphere of Sahaja schools is peaceful and serene and as such an atmosphere allows for greater absorption with less distraction of attention.
The aim of Sahaja education is to establish a firm foundation for the learning process which:
- Provides basic knowledge in all subjects in a happy, homely, friendly and vitalizing environment as visualized by Mahatma Gandhi.
- Encourage and stimulate the pupil's natural curiosity, creativity and imagination in the peaceful environment.
- Paves the way for the pupils to understand spiritual and moral principles.
- Allows each child to develop the diverse facets of his or her personality.
- An ability to relate studies with life in a spirit of co-operation rather than competition.
- Brings out the innate human quality through respect, love kindness, courage, propriety, sensitivity, dignity, compassion, consideration and spontaneity. By this system, the child becomes strongly grounded in himself. He easily recognizes false-hood, deceit and superficially projected values. A common sense understanding will also get evoked through awakening to the inner and outer phenomenon.
Difference between traditional and Sahaja method of education:
Building Collectivity benefits in greater productivity, Academic achievement and individual personality development
- Sharing, caring and integrating
- Co-operation and understanding
- Collective decisions through consensus
- Trust in each other
- Team work, awareness of interdependence
- Acceptance of diversity in others
- Ability to face stress and collective persistence
- Collective commitment
- Collective vibrations help it -
a. Overcome individual negative problems
b. Support ascent
c. Offer creative solutions to problems
d. Give sense of direction
e. Bring collective joy
- Celebrating collective achievement
- Expanding the joy of collective to the society